Tag Archives: bug

Broken stats on old WordPress MU 2.8.2

I’ve been having a big problem with stats with my company’s install of WP MU. First, the stats for all three sites I administer there disconnected from my professional Akismet account and attached themselves to my personal account.


I can’t even express how horrifying this was, and I still don’t understand how it happened.

Fortunately I got excellent support from the peeps at WordPress.com, and they reattached the sites to the correct Akismet account, but unfortunately they could only attach the stats going forward–the info for the past year is still attached to my personal account. There’s a fix for it, but it’s for updated sites and plugins, and we’re definitely not running the most recent releases for either WordPress or WordPress Stats. Even worse, they’re not slated to be updated any time soon by those that control the servers.

If you know of a WordPress plugin that’s up-to-date and still runs on MU, let me know so I can try to run the fix, because until it’s repaired, stakeholders have to come to me for their past stats, and as much as I live to serve, it’s so much easier when they can access that information on their own.

Flash: Disappearing text

I spent the weekend working in Flash. I love Flash when I get to work with it consistently, but when it’s been awhile, it makes me a little crazy, and in this case it was Actionscript 2 that someone else had originally coded, so the crazy went to 11.

This time I was having trouble with a scrolling text box that contains a LOT of information. For some reason the bottom half of the content wasn’t showing up, even though the box continued to scroll that far. I think I spent half an hour trying to figure out why it was doing that until I stumbled on an accidental fix–toggling the “Selectable” box in the textbox properties. Voila! Problem fixed, if not necessarily solved.

It bothers me that I don’t know exactly why it was only hiding the bottom half of the box. I know it was about the size of the box, not the lines of content–when I reduced the line-height, more text showed up, but not all. I suspect it has to do with the function that created the scrollbar, but having to unravel all those mathy variables–especially when AS3 is my native Actionscript language, not 2–is a task I just can’t motivate myself to tackle, so I’m going with the mystery fix.

Not all mistakes are in the code

I’m working on a small Flash application for an upcoming exhibition. Unfortunately I don’t get to work in Flash as often as I’d like, which means that every new project leads to relearning everything I’ve forgotten since the last project (this time, it’s been almost a year, so that’s a lot to relearn!).

I had everything working smoothly except, my dynamic text boxes refused to display the text from the linked xml document. I traced the relevant fields, and they were definitely being accessed, but they just wouldn’t show up in the swf.


I scoured the code for missing semicolons and misspelled functions, but it was a fruitless search. I finally gave up and asked my colleague Tina to have a look. Continue reading Not all mistakes are in the code